Mar

A Day in the Life of a Roxy Intern

StephandashEver wonder what it’s like to intern for the coolest surf company around?

Lucky for you, I’m here to give you the inside scoop into the Roxy world. My name is Stephanie Beal and I am a senior public relations major at Chapman University (yep, I actually have to grow up in three months!). I have been interning for the Roxy public relations department for about seven months and I have learned so much, met some really chill people and have had so much fun in the process. But this internship isn’t like any other…it’s so much better.

“Wash my car”—um, no. “Get me coffee”—not before I get mine, dude. “Dig through my trash, I lost an expense report”—now that’s just gross! As a Roxy intern, I get none of these wacky requests. In fact, at my internship, being a Roxy girl means showing up to work on a skateboard.

No doubt about it, I have the coolest internship ever. I work in the public relations department and basically get to flip through magazines such as People and In Style for Roxy product, pick out outfits for our athletes to wear in photo shoots, and help plan media strategy for awesome events such as the upcoming 4th Annual Roxy Chicken Jam at Mammoth Mountain, CA. That’s just the start of it. No two days as a Roxy intern are the same.

The other day we had a bit of a crisis. Roxy pro surfer, Sofia Mulanovich, (who, by the way, just won the 2008 Roxy Pro Gold Coast in Australia!) was scheduled to do a cover shoot for a magazine at a nearby beach. There was one problem, all the clothes at the shoot were the wrong size. We had a mission: find cute clothes from this season for Sofia to wear—in one hour. Ready…go! We started at the sample closet pulling boardshorts, t-shirts and wetsuits. I went over to the swim merchandising and design area and asked for a few bathing suits to take with us and we ran back to the warehouse and grabbed some colorful shorts and denim mini-skirts. And lucky for me, I got to hand deliver the clothes to the beach location and watch the beautiful Peruvian smile for the cameras. Although it was freezing at the beach, Sofia laughed it off in total Roxy girl style.

I can’t wait to see how the cover turns out. And I’m proud to say that as an intern, I helped make that photo shoot happen! All in a days work as a Roxy intern.

Stephanie

Other Articles We Recommend For You

9 COMMENTS

1. Kat says:

March 7, 2008 at 11:06 am

How do you go about being a Roxy intern? That sounds fabulous.

2. Steph says:

March 10, 2008 at 11:00 am

You can go to http://www.quiksilverinc.com to see internship postings, or check http://www.malakye.com–a great industry web site. Good luck!

3. Melissa says:

April 9, 2008 at 10:29 pm

Dude! You’re like living my dream!! lol I’m a fashion marketing and management major at The Illinois Institute of Art in Chicago and will hopefully be interning on the west coast in the near future. Any advice?? I could use all I can get. Thanks!! :) -Melissa

4. Mikala Watt says:

May 6, 2008 at 5:33 pm

Hi,
    I read your post and loved it! I’m looking for an internship in a fashion related areas, anyways i was browsing through and came across this page and am curious to know where you applied for this internship with Roxy?
    Thanks so much,
    Mikala

5. Heather Mangin says:

May 11, 2008 at 4:42 pm

Hi!
    I checked out your post and thought that your experience with Roxy was AWESOME! I’m a Junior graphic design major at Miami University of Ohio and I have fallen in love with the graphics on Roxy’s apparel, snowboards, etc. Is there anyone that you talked to in particular to get an internship with Roxy? A couple of Roxy girls came to my University a few weeks ago for the Follow Your Heart Tour and they recommended me to the Roxy site but I was wondering if there was another way to contact someone about internships?! If so, I’d really appreciate it and any advice you have to give!!!
    Mahalo!
    -Heath

6. Jessica says:

June 16, 2008 at 1:43 pm

hey!
    so im only 15, but ive always dreamed about working with roxy… i was wondering how i could get into it. like what i need to do.. i LOVE roxy and you could say im a TOTAL roxy girl! haah so any advice for me??

7. Stephanie says:

September 19, 2008 at 9:12 pm

Thanks for sharing your day in the life of a Roxy intern. Are you located in HB? I grew up in the area, and I was wondering who is the best person I can talk to about being an intern.

8. Hanna says:

February 20, 2009 at 3:29 am

Hi Stephanie,
    Are there opportunities like this available in Europe? I live in the UK but would love to get involved in the Chicken Jam in the Alps. I have been working hard to gain event management experience…is there anyone I could contact? Thanks for your help, H x

9. Lauren Cutting says:

March 29, 2009 at 8:16 pm

Hey Stephanie,
    This internship sounds absolutely amazing! I am so excited to hear about this experience. I was wondering if you could provide any insight into the process you went through in attaining this position? Do you have any tips or suggestions of who to contact for positions in the design department? Thank you for sharing about your experience!