Roxy Outdoor Fitness ambassador Katie McLean knows any great workout is maximized by the food you eat. Make your Roxy Outdoor Fitness workout worth it by fueling up after with a healthy, hearty salad. Wanna know the secret to scrumptious salads? It’s simple: satisfy all the sensations of taste. Think a bitter, a sweet, a spice, a hearty protein, a healthy fat, and some crunchy, creamy, or juicy textures. Now get creative and come up with your custom combination of ingredients!
1. Start with a bitter lettuce as your base: romaine, spinach, spring mix, arugula, kale, chard.
*Cheat any salad complete with these staples: tomato, onion, avocado, and ground pepper.
2. Incorporate some texture: sprouts, chopped cabbage, cucumber, celery, broccoli, beets, bell pepper.
*Bonus points for color!
3. Go nuts: slivered almonds, walnuts, pistachios, pepitas, sunflower seeds, chia seeds.
4. Add another healthy fat and a creamy texture to contrast that crunch with avocado, goat cheese, or olive oil.
5. Fill up on protein: quinoa, chickpeas, beans, lentils, tofu, turkey, chicken, salmon, or sliced hardboiled egg.
6. Add something sweet and juicy: apple, strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, grapes, tangerine, kiwi, mango, pomegranate.
And a chewy dried fruit: cranberry, raisin, apricot, goji berries.
*Scope what’s in season at your local farmers market for the freshest ingredients and try something new in your salad like summer squash or peaches, raw or grilled!
7. Dress it up simply: The freshest, tastiest, simplest, and healthiest dressings are homemade.
*And be sure sure to slip on your comfy Roxy yoga pants or jacket so you don’t chill after your sweat!
Try two of Katie’s favorites:
The Sweetheart Salad: Goji berry, strawberry, spinach, rainbow chard, red pepper, pepitas, purple cabbage, quinoa, tomato, onion, and avocado.
The Hearty Health Nut: Apple, avocado, walnut, pistachio, cranberry, cucumber, kale, sprouts, steamed squash or beets, tomato, and tofu or turkey.