May

Design A Bikini: How to Win!

Design-A-Bikini is under way, and we wish you all the best of luck! How do you become the grand prize winner, score $5,000 cash and get ¬†your bikini made just for you? Our judges include Roxy Head Designer Summer Rapp, Seventeen Magazine Editor Marissa Grumer, “Fab” of Fabsugar a.k.a. editor Samantha Durbin, Schick stylist Jennifer Rade, and professional surfer Kassia Meador. Some of our judges wanted to share exactly what is it they are looking for in a winning design.

So tell us judges, what are you looking for a in a winning design?

“The winning bikini design will come from ¬†someone who can articulate their understanding of the Roxy brand through design and who can present their concept/idea in a way that feels fresh and innovative.” – Summer Rapp,Head Designer for Roxy

“I’m looking for a sexy mix of fashion meets function”Samantha Durbin, Editor of Fabsugar.com

“I’m looking for something different and groovy…something you want to live in every day and when you put it on, will you make you feel empowered and beautiful…”- Kassia Meador

“The winning design should show creativity, along with being on-trend, and wearable! The one tip I’d like to give the contestants is to have fun! Design is a great opportunity to show your vision, so use this opportunity to express yourself and create something that girls everywhere will want to wear!” – Jennifer Rade

Other Articles We Recommend For You

98 COMMENTS

1. Carrie says:

June 4, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Does anyone know how to put the templates into SmoothDraw ? I can’t seem to figure it out, so any help would be appreciated ! Thanks !

2. alanda says:

June 7, 2010 at 11:50 am

Carrie, If you open the templates, go to tools, then to select and zoom, then to snapshot. Left click to select the area of the template you want to copy and then you should get a pop up that says that the selected area has been copied and you can now paste your template into SmoothDraw.

3. mimi says:

June 7, 2010 at 7:26 pm

first u saves the template. then u go on zamzar.com, browse for it, and click the box to convert it to a jpg. file. then when u get it in ur email, u can save the new file and open in smoothdraw :D hahaha<— <3 ya wiki.answers

4. Danielle says:

June 9, 2010 at 6:41 pm

do you have to use the templates?

5. Phamtastic says:

June 10, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Yes – the rules require all entries to be submitted with the templates provided. Thank you!!

6. chelsea says:

June 11, 2010 at 11:56 am

when does the contest end?

i also have another question….

if we print the templates out how would we get our design back on the computer to up load it?

please help=]
    thanks=]

7. alanda says:

June 12, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Can you vote everyday and submit a design, since they are two separate contests?

8. Phamtastic says:

June 14, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Alanda: You can vote everyday, but can only enter once.

Chelsea: please scan in your design after you printed and have drawn on it.

Thanks!

9. Donna says:

June 16, 2010 at 8:17 pm

If i used adobe photoshop cs3 to create my design, how do i resize it to meet the file requirement to upload my image?

10. Paige says:

June 16, 2010 at 9:16 pm

I submitted a design but it still hasn’t been uploaded. . how long does that usually take ? I think its a little unfair for the whole user voting thing for the ones which are up longer than others. I mean first come first serve I understand, but mine was submitted days ago and the bikini list has yet to be updated since then. .

11. Marta Zarate says:

June 17, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Hello judges,
    I would like to know if you see a better view of the designs submitted than what we see on the gallery. You see my current entry looks very blurry and you cannot see the detail I put into my design. Is it possible for me to resubmit my same entry without being disqualified? Or is there a way for me to fix this problem?

12. madison says:

June 18, 2010 at 6:59 pm

ok i don’t know how top get my two templents on my design drawing thing how do i do it
    ? HEELP PLZZ

13. Hailey says:

June 19, 2010 at 10:46 am

What is the the smallest file size and largest that you can submit??

14. Katie Denton says:

June 21, 2010 at 8:02 am

My bikini design was just approved yesterday, and everything looked good. But for some reason today the title of my design was replaced my someone’s name (Jennifer Spriggs?), some of the accessories I had chosen were changed, and the description is something I didn’t write (and my description is gone). Just wanted to make someone aware.

15. Caitlin says:

June 21, 2010 at 3:31 pm

I have a question for you.Can you tell me how to upload the templates on Paint.NET because i can’t figure it out.I saved it into my personal files but when I tried to upload it,the template didn’t show up in my files.Is there a way to avoid this problem?

16. Phamtastic says:

June 22, 2010 at 4:32 pm

@Hailey: the maximum file size is 500k.
    @Katie: we will forward this to our technical team. sorry about the mix-up!
    @Caitlin: i’m not exactly sure what you are doing wrong. make sure to save your file onto the desktop. maybe that way it will be easier to find. thank you!

17. Paige says:

June 23, 2010 at 7:54 am

I also had the same problem with my design – the design was still there, but the items I chose, the name, & the description all got changed to someone else’s.

18. Ayla says:

June 29, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Okay, so how do you do ANY of this? I don’t understand how I’m supposed to do this! Please help! [tell me how to open everything and such please]

19. Kirsten says:

July 7, 2010 at 9:40 am

Okay, so I designed a bikini freehand and scanned it back onto my computer. Now my file size is way too large! Does anyone know how to compress the file to be 500k rather than 16kb?

20. Lindsay says:

July 11, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Does anyone know how to shrink the size of the file so it meets the file requirement to upload? Thanks!!

21. leanne says:

July 12, 2010 at 7:29 pm

How do i “stack” the images? im not sure how to do it. im using gimp

22. Janice says:

July 14, 2010 at 12:46 am

Bou…. i want to design a bikini too :(
    I’m not resident of US, can i??pleeeease :D

23. Sophie says:

July 14, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Hey guys, so I uploaded my bikini and noticed it was really blurry and was hoping to remove it and redo the upload before getting it approved by the judges. Does anyone know if it’s possible?? Please let me know! Thanks :)

24. Lindsay says:

July 17, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Is it possible for your design to take longer than four days to be approved? Has anyone else’s taken longer?

25. Kate says:

July 18, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Hi, I entered a design so tell me what chances do I have of even coming close to winning. I really wannt this!