May

Design A Bikini: How to Win!

Design-A-Bikini is under way, and we wish you all the best of luck! How do you become the grand prize winner, score $5,000 cash and get ¬†your bikini made just for you? Our judges include Roxy Head Designer Summer Rapp, Seventeen Magazine Editor Marissa Grumer, “Fab” of Fabsugar a.k.a. editor Samantha Durbin, Schick stylist Jennifer Rade, and professional surfer Kassia Meador. Some of our judges wanted to share exactly what is it they are looking for in a winning design.

So tell us judges, what are you looking for a in a winning design?

“The winning bikini design will come from ¬†someone who can articulate their understanding of the Roxy brand through design and who can present their concept/idea in a way that feels fresh and innovative.” – Summer Rapp,Head Designer for Roxy

“I’m looking for a sexy mix of fashion meets function”Samantha Durbin, Editor of Fabsugar.com

“I’m looking for something different and groovy…something you want to live in every day and when you put it on, will you make you feel empowered and beautiful…”- Kassia Meador

“The winning design should show creativity, along with being on-trend, and wearable! The one tip I’d like to give the contestants is to have fun! Design is a great opportunity to show your vision, so use this opportunity to express yourself and create something that girls everywhere will want to wear!” – Jennifer Rade

Other Articles We Recommend For You

98 COMMENTS

1. Phamtastic says:

July 19, 2010 at 11:33 am

@Sophie – we reset your profile, you’re free to upload again!
    @Lindsay- it looks like we received the image, but you didn’t complete the submission process yet. please log back in and make sure you follow other steps to submit like “accessorize your bikini” and more. thanks!

2. Carrie says:

July 22, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Hey Girls !!

Just wanted to wish everybody good luck with the contest ! All of the designs are beautiful and we all deserve to wear our suits! Each one reflects amazing passion and character. It is so cliche to say this, but we are all winners since we are Roxy girls !! Have a great summer, and heres to the winner, whoever she is !!=)

3. Jennifer says:

July 27, 2010 at 11:41 am

Hello! I submitted my design on 7/19, but it still hasn’t made it to the gallery. Every time I log in the site keeps telling me to accessorize my look, but I have gone through this process at least 3 times already because the design never makes it to the gallery. I don’t know what else I can try. Thanks for your help!

4. Britney says:

July 27, 2010 at 2:27 pm

I have a quick question. So I have uploaded my design but it hasn’t gotten on and it has been awhile since that time so I was wondering if it was rejected or maybe the process wasn’t complete? If you could help me that would be great! Thank you!

5. Kelly says:

July 28, 2010 at 7:55 pm

PLEASE HELP!! I just uploaded my design and received my confirmation upload email but it it’s not me. It lists another girl and her entry name, etc. I hope this can be fixed quickly so my design can be judged and I can get votes!

6. Kelly says:

July 28, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Oh, and like Sophie – I used the recommended 390 Pixel height and my JPG on the entry form was very blurry. I was hoping to be able to re-upload a better JPG before judging closes. Of course, first, I need to get my confirmation sorted out since it lists someone else. Thanks!

7. Hayley Sommer says:

July 29, 2010 at 3:09 am

I printed the bikini template and designed it freehand. Then, I scanned it in my printer. Now, I can’t find the scanned image. I looked in the printer folder and in the picture folder. Where else should I look?

8. Kelly S says:

July 29, 2010 at 10:46 am

Hi again. Thanks for getting my bikini posting sorted out. Like Sophie – I would still LOVE to be able to upload a less blurry image. I have one ready to go. PLEASE – you can’t see the details in the suit very well. Thank you! Kelly

9. Phamtastic says:

July 29, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Hi, we’ve taken a look at your suit – it doesn’t look blurry to us! looks good actually. is this ok with you?
    good luck!

10. Phamtastic says:

July 29, 2010 at 3:59 pm

I would suggest searching for it. Sorry, we can’t provide tech support, since it’s your printer. We could have no way of knowing your settings.

11. Phamtastic says:

July 29, 2010 at 4:04 pm

@britney.a.flores – we just logged into your account. Seems fine. Just log in and accessorize and describe your entry.
    thanks!

12. Phamtastic says:

July 29, 2010 at 4:05 pm

@Jennifer – sorry you were having issues. it’s up now! good luck!

13. Bridget Sargent says:

July 29, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Is there any way to re-load the bikini? My image looks awful lol.

14. Mica says:

July 30, 2010 at 8:13 am

Hi! I read some of the comments above and im experiencing the same problem as others have. I uploaded my design more than 4 days ago and it still hasnt been uploaded to the gallery even if i got a confirmation email. When i logged in again, it asked me to accessorize and put the description again. So i sent my design for the 2nd time. I’m just scared it might not work again and my design wont be uploaded successfully by the time the contest ends. :( Please help!

15. Kelly S says:

July 30, 2010 at 8:41 am

Hi PHAMTASTIC – So happy you think the image looks good! I am still bummed about how blurry it is, especially knowing I could upload a clearer version so the judges can see all the detail. The 390 pixel height made the file small – I have a better file that meets the 500K limit ready to go if you think I could upload. It’s just a little heartbreaking after all the time spent on the details of the design but I understand if it’s not doable. Thanks for your time!

16. Phamtastic says:

July 30, 2010 at 9:52 am

@ Bridget Sargent – you’re profile was reset, you can upload your design now again.
    @ Mica – you’re profile was reset, you can upload your design now again.
    @Kelly S – I did not reset your profile, because you have votes. this would cause you to lose your votes, unless you don’t mind.

17. Kelly S says:

July 30, 2010 at 10:31 am

I am not very concerned about the votes unless you think they really affect the judges selection. I assume they do not based on what I have seen. Let me know what you think.

18. Phamtastic says:

July 30, 2010 at 10:37 am

@Kelly – your profile will be reset then. the votes do not weigh in with the judges.

19. Kelly S says:

July 30, 2010 at 11:08 am

Thanks for all your help. Sorry to be a pain. You are “PHAMTASTIC!” (sure you’ve heard that once or twice).

20. Kelly S says:

July 30, 2010 at 11:28 am

HELP AGAIN! I just uploaded a 400K file that’s an RBG JPG and I am getting the little blue square with the ? mark – so it’s not showing the file. Does this mean it wont show in the gallery? Do you know why this is occurring?

21. Bridget says:

July 30, 2010 at 2:38 pm

My bikini design is up-loaded but the pixilation is discouraging. How can I get it so that it looks much better? Right now it’s in JPEG format at just under 500k. After I get that figured out can I re-load?
    Sorry to be a bug!

22. Mica says:

July 31, 2010 at 4:49 am

Thank you so much Phamtastic!!!!! :D

23. Amanda says:

August 21, 2010 at 1:45 pm

My bikini design didnt get into the finalist. but if you want to check it out, look under ‘color splash’ mine is under the name AmandaK and it is pink, yellow, orange, and blue. check it out and help me get my designed made into a bikini.

xoxo,